Monday 30 January 2017

Daniel Fasts, Elimination Diets and Intimacy with God

    My husband and I decided at the end of 2016 that in January of 2017 we would do a 21 day Daniel Fast. For us, that basically meant a vegan diet with no sugars (still did honey and maple syrup) and no caffeine (no coffee, but drinking decaf tea!).
The point of the Fast wasn’t to lose weight – though that would be a great benefit!! – but to break the old bad habits, addictions to sugar, get us thinking about healthy food choices and how we want to change our diet for the long run, and of course to draw closer to God.
          I also have struggles with allergic reactions, to I don’t know what, which are extremely frustrating, last for days and are painful. The area around my lips gets very red, tingles, burns and itches for a day or two, and for the next few days after are very dry and itchy. So in my journey to grow closer to God, I also want to find some answers and solutions to my physical aliments.

          Our Fast started Thursday, January 12th and for almost 2 weeks was going very well. It is an adjustment to cut out all meat and dairy (and sugar!!!!!!!!) and trying to think of what you will make without having your favorite meals to fall back on... and very little eating out or ordering in! But it was going well and we were still enjoying so many healthy and yummy foods! Then on Tuesday, day 13 of 21, I had some Fast friendly pancakes for breakfast (I was getting really tired of oatmeal), which included some of my homemade applesauce, and I had an allergic reaction! Now I don’t remember if there is any sugar in that batch of applesauce but I was 90% sure it was just apples and cinnamon! So frustrating!
I thought that maybe I was allergic to cinnamon before, but then I tried putting cinnamon in my mouth with no reaction. I’ve been eating oatmeal with cinnamon and maple syrup for days with no reaction. I’ve been drinking cinnamon tea with no reaction. Ok... so maybe it’s not cinnamon.. Apples? My allergist said that apples could bother me... but I’ve been eating raw apples with no problems! I made an apple pie like filling with cut up apples, cinnamon, maple syrup and oats and baked it and had no problems... the pancakes were made with chia seeds... I use chia seeds a lot in my baking. But I don’t react to everything I bake, so this is the frustrating part for me. I also react to things that do not have chia seeds in them. (Pancake recipe can found - http://completerecipes.com/Healthy-Banana-Pancakes.html?back_url=./ - I used chia seeds instead of eggs, used my homemade applesauce, added cinnamon and no Vinnamon).
The day after my reaction to the pancakes, I bought some more hummus (which I had been eating so much of for the Fast) and it made my reaction worse! I bought a different brand than the one we had been eating all along! Ugh!!! Should have known!

          Anyway... at that point I knew I had to do a version of an Elimination Diet to try and start to get some answers to my very frustrating and seemingly random reactions. Then at least I might have something to go to the allergist with in the future. But I knew this diet wasn’t just about figuring out allergies. I knew this diet went so much deeper than that. I knew months ago I should be doing this diet, but then I would have a good couple of weeks with no reactions and justify and excuse to myself once again that I didn’t really have to do this diet. But when God is asking you to do something – something that will ultimately be a blessing to you – then no matter how much you put it off, excuse it, or try to justify it away, He is not going to let up! This reaction was my breaking point after 2 weeks on the Daniel Fast.
My husband is continuing on with his last week of the Fast but I broke the Fast a week early and am doing a 7 day Elimination Diet. I am on day 5 of eating chicken, beef, rice, salt and water... breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack. Though I haven’t really been all that hungry lately, so it’s more like brunch, dinner and maybe a 3rd meal in there somewhere.

          What makes me think God is the one nudging me towards an Elimination Diet and not just my body and my complete frustration and lack of answers to these allergic reactions? What is it that makes me think God is using the seemingly randomness of my reactions to get my attention?
          When I started the Fast I started reading this book, Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst (one of my favorite Christian authors! You just know that what she is sharing with you is a personal journey God has brought her through! So powerful.). I read the first few chapters while walking on the treadmill at the gym. I knew this book would hold a lot of insight, and of course, it spoke directly to me and to a lot of my struggles with food. At one point, she was talking about running 3 miles a day but one day she felt that God was telling her to keep running until He told her to stop. That day she ran 8.6 miles! I average 3km on the treadmill in an hour! I have no desire to take up running or jogging or any long distance exercise. Not saying it will never happen, but that’s not a desire of mine!!! But I felt like this Elimination Diet was my 8.6 mile run. I felt like this Diet was God calling me to walk with Him in His strength. That the Fast had a few challenges but still too many comforts. That instead of really pressing into God when having a craving for coffee or ice cream (or chocolate, or cookies, or chicken in our chili or beef in our tacos.....) I was just snacking on popcorn (big large bowls of popcorn almost nightly...it became my new major craving!) and drinking a nice, hot cup of tea. I wasn’t replacing my food cravings with God, but just different food.

          In Made to Crave, Lysa Terkeurst talked about praying to God to unsettle her. To bring out all the junk she needed to deal with to the surface. Well I have got to tell you, I am feeling very unsettled. It took about 12 hours into my Diet to be upset about not having a hot cup of tea, and knowing I wouldn’t be able to have a hot cup of tea (or coffee) for the next week plus. Who knows when I will be able to add back in tea, coffee (I’m ok with decaf), sugar and cream? And the very fact that you can only add one new ingredient every 24 hours (assuming there is no reaction) is DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! That’s like 72 hours before I can drink an actual cup of coffee (or tea, assuming it is one ingredient and not one of the many flavors I have like Birthday Cake or Caramel Popcorn....).
What has me feeling very frustrated is that I was drinking coffee (with cream and sugar) before my Fast and drinking tea before and during my Fast, with no reactions! Not around my lips anyway. So why, oh why, can’t I just have one darn cup of anything hot (besides just water!!) after my 7 days are over??!! WHY!!????? Ok, ok, yes, I understand how Elimination Diets are meant to work and why you only add one thing back at a time (in case you do have a reaction). This is just my flesh screaming at me. This is just my flesh yelling and screaming, slowly and painfully dying...
          I am feeling unsettled. I am feeling restless. I feel like I am going to go crazy! I dished out applesauce for my daughters lunches this week and I could smell the applesauce that was used in the dreaded pancakes that caused the reaction, and it smelled so delicious (kind of like apple pie filling), my mouth was watering and I have never wanted applesauce before so much in my life!
And I am feeling pretty miserable. My stomach is stilling giving me issues (thanks to being a woman! And the fact that I can only use salt for flavoring probably isn’t helping!), and almost 3 weeks into a Fast/Diet, with  lots of water and no caffeine, (and no processed sugars) and I am just feeling like crap! I’m still very tired and my stomach has felt hard and bloated for most of it. And it really doesn’t help that out of 3 weeks, I’ve had a week of PMS and a week of what follows PMS! So all of this is just adding to my frustrations of not being able to turn to food (or drink) for any comfort.

          I really want to make this journey about God. Not about what I can or cannot eat. Not about the number on the scale (though I do have a goal to lose weight this year.). I want it to be about denying myself in order to deal with all the junk and thanking God for the good and healthy food I can eat. I want it to be about finding my identity and building the foundation and rooting myself to the truths of God’s Word. I want it to be about finding satisfaction, comfort, love, joy and peace in God. But mostly it just feels like one big, miserable pity party, where my flesh slowly, and not willingly, dies, with no spiritual break through at all.
          I know I have been making poor food choices for decades (sugar is definitely my biggest weakness/struggle) and 3 weeks isn’t going to magically fix all my food/diet issues and struggles. I know that I must walk with God every day, and not just for 3 weeks. I am just at the beginning of this journey and not loving it and feeling miserable! I need a lot of prayer, that is for sure! And mostly I just want this Diet to be over so I can eat ice cream, and cookies and chocolate and drink coffee and tea, and eat more healthy foods and have all the things I cannot eat right now.
          So, if you’ve managed to read this far, thank you! This is just the beginning of a life long journey. I am miserable and this is my explanation of my Fast/Diet and my rant of my frustrations. And if you’re a person of prayer, I would really appreciate your prayers for strength to walk through this Elimination Diet, for spiritual break through and a closer, deeper, more intimate connection with God, and answers to the physical side of things like the allergic reactions and what is causing them.

Psalm 78:18New International Version (NIV)

18 They willfully put God to the test
    by demanding the food they craved.

Psalm 5:1-3The Message (MSG)

A David Psalm
1-3 Listen, God! Please, pay attention!
Can you make sense of these ramblings,
my groans and cries?
    King-God, I need your help.
Every morning
    you’ll hear me at it again.
Every morning
    I lay out the pieces of my life
    on your altar
    and watch for fire to descend.



2 comments:

  1. Good for you, but it is hard, especially finding those things we have to eliminate. It took me years to figure out that eggs, yogurt and caffeine are my migraine triggers, but life improved enormously once I did. I have been finding when I have that nagging feeling for comfort that often feels like a food craving, having a hot bath to relax or just some time to myself can make that craving magically disappear. I think sometimes God lets us have these cravings to show we are hungry for something, but we may need comfort, warmth, alone time, or simply time off of "work", which is very hard to get when you have young ones! ~~Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karin!

    Yes, I struggle with so many physical aliments, I have no idea where to begin or what it is my body is lacking or needs to get rid of. I also get bad headaches, which I think have a lot to do with tension/stress, along with some food triggers like too much (or too little) caffeine. And I have digestion issues and now in the past few years these reactions around my lips, which have become very irritating and frustrating.
    And when we are not healthy physically it takes such a huge toll on us mentally/emotionally.
    I want to eat healthy and cut out all junk, but the thought of never having ice cream, chocolate, cookies, etc, again, makes me want to cry! Seriously! I don't want to give up all desserts and treats forever. But I know if God called me to do it, then ultimately I would. And at the end of "forever" (my life) there is eternity with God where I will be feasting in paradise! I know that this journey needs to be more about my walk with God than about the food I am eating (or more specifically not eating).
    Emotionally I haven't been doing too well either and it is definitely hard to get that break with such little children around. Yes, this stage is going to go by so fast, but I also need to take care of myself in this stage and in all stages of life to come!

    ReplyDelete